Andrews leaves it late to score for Westella

Lewis Andrews popped up in the 80th minute on Wednesday evening to ensure his side and Westella took all three points against fellow league strugglers Teversal FC.

The first half was one that didn’t really have much to shout home about with both sides giving the ball away numerous times inviting unnecessary pressure on to one another.

Most notable opportunities fell to the home side with Westella unable to bundle the ball home with Danny Holiday heading straight in to the visiting keepers arms on 5 minutes. Holiday again had a further chance but lost control of the ball as it ended up in the keepers hands.

Right on the stroke of half time Chris Short delivered a corner that fell at the back post following a smart save only for a last ditch block clearing Mike Hewitt’s close range shot.

The visitors flew out of the blocks in the second half with Derek Peat in the home goal making a wonderful save to his right pushing the wet ball away from goal, a mini storm Westella managed to hold out.

With 66 minutes played it very closely become a night Westella would be punished for their missed opportunities. Firstly Peat was called into action making another superb save to his right hand side only for the oncoming Luke Bacon to bundle the ball over the line from a yard out to put the visitors in the lead.

8 minutes later and it was 1-1. A switch in pay from Westella found the advanced Holiday who from 25 yards out took a touch and fired on target, a slight deflection taking the ball away from the despairing keeper with the ball finding the back of the net.

Westella now managing the game and having some control of the game gained the second wind they needed and played some neat football on a wet and greasy pitch. A swift counter attack saw young forward Josh Walker go through on goal drawing another good save but on hand was the oncoming Lewis Andrew to fire the ball home from inside the 6 yard box for 2-1.

“Tonight was a typical NCEL game played in very wet conditions and it was always going to be a close game with one goal in it for the winning side. Credit to Teversal they certainly had a good go at us tonight and will probably be thinking how have they not gone home with a point but that’s football and it’s a horrible game at times”

“That’s four consecutive wins for us now, 3 in the league and 1 in the East Riding senior cup, the lads have the confidence back in them which is what we needed and the winning mentality is very positive. We must continue to push on now and make it hard for team to score against us whilst we must also take our chances in front of goal”

“This Saturday we make the short trip down the M62 to my old club Selby Town who are flying at the moment and it will be another tough test for us but we will be there with a good squad and we will be ready to take the game to Selby and see what we can return home with”

Share this on Social Media